After 30 minutes of play, the Syracuse University football program leads West Virginia University, 21-9, in a Big East Conference contest at the Carrier Dome. The Orange used running and throwing touchdowns from senior quarterback Ryan Nassib and a 98-yard kickoff return from senior wide receiver Dorian Graham to take an unexpected lead.
Here are some halftime stats:
- Nassib passing stats: 13-of-20 for 110-passing yards and a TD. Nassib also has a one-yard rushing TD.
- WVU's Geno Smith passing stats: 11-of-23 for 215 yards and a TD. Smith has also been sacked twice and has tossed an interception.
- SU leading rusher: Senior running back Antwon Bailey who has 49 yards on 12 carries.
- WVU leading rusher: Freshman running back Dustin Garrison who has 24 yards on five carries.
- SU leading receiver: Graham has three catches for 44 yards, while senior tight end Nick Provo has three catches for 22 yards and a TD.
- SU third downs: 5-of-9 (55.5 percent).
- WVU third downs: 3-of-7 (42.8).
- SU time of possession: 18:27.
- WVU TOP: 11:33.
- So far, SU's play calling has been superb. The pass-to-run ration is 20-12 and both have been effective for the Orange.
- SU's senior defense end Chandler Jones not only is trending world wide on Twitter, but already has five tackles and two sacks. Jones has missed the Orange's last five games with a lower body injury.
- Graham's 98-kick return was exactly what SU needed in that spot. Look for special teams to play a big factor by game's end.