It is pretty obvious what the New York Yankees focus was during the just-concluded 2011 MLB Draft. During Wednesday's final day, which included rounds 31-50, the Yankees took 13 pitchers in their 20 selections. That makes an astounding total of 35 pitchers chosen with the team's 50 selections.
We won't know for years, of course, if any of the players selected during the past three days will make an impact in New York, or at the major league level anywhere. No denying, though, that the Yankees were intent on stockpiling young arms throughout their minor-league system.
Here is a quick recap of the Yankees top selections in this draft
- 51st -- Dante Bichette Jr., 3B/OF, Orangewood Christian HS
- 88th -- Sam Stafford, LHP, University of Texas
- 118th -- Jordan Cote, RHP, Winnesquam HS
- 149th -- Matthew Duran, 3B, New Rochelle HS
- 179th -- Gregory Bird, C, Grandview HS
- 209th -- Jake Cave, CF, Kecoughtan HS