The Islanders' two top rated prospects survived yet another round of cuts yesterday. The Islanders — who are already without top defenseman Mark Streit and star forward Kyle Okposo — are probably looking for a replacement with both players.
Young Islanders hopefuls Nino Niederreiter and Calvin De Haan aren’t going back to juniors just yet. The Islanders’ latest roster cuts after the conclusion of preseason games pares the quasi-roster down to a healthy um…26 bodies(?), meaning they need to get rid of three-to-four more by Lou’s Cap Circumvention Day Wednesday afternoon.
*There is much confusion on this; the team email release said 28 on the roster, the site release says 27, and Andy Hilbert and Calvin de Haan aren’t listed on that roster but are not listed as demoted either, while Mark Streit and Kyle Okposo are still on the list without the traditional double-asterisk indicating IR (that comes later).
Regardless, the Islanders probably had high expectations for De Haan — last year’s other 1st round pick — since he had a full season in juniors to develop last year.
Niederreiter was one of the studs of this year’s draft after his brilliant play during the World Junior Championship. Even if he doesn’t make the team this year expect “El Nino” to be a big part of the Islanders' offense for years to come.
More when it happens.