Two teams with playoff aspirations heading into the season will meet next Monday night looking to avoid an 0-2 start. The New York Giants dropped their season opener in Washington to the rival Redskins; the St. Louis Rams got battered and bruised in a home loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. Both teams are similar in that they like to set up the pass with the run, but for the Rams, that might be difficult to accomplish because of the bruised quad muscle Steven Jackson sustained during the Week 1 loss. If he does play, and that's not necessarily likely, Jackson will be limited in his mobility and certainly will be in a lot of pain if he takes any hits below the knee. St. Louis is also dealing with the loss of their top receiver Danny Amendola, who could be lost for the year with an elbow injury. Sam Bradford, who left in the fourth quarter with a hand injury, is expected to play however against the Giants.
We'll have more injury news and notes throughout the week, but first a few facts and figures about both squads heading into next Monday night's game.
- In career, Eli Manning is 2-0 vs. St. Louis, completing 39 of 64 (60.9 pct.) for 556 yards with 7 TDs vs. 0 INTs for 125.5 rating. Aims for 4th win in row on Monday Night Football.
- In only meeting, Ahmad Bradshaw had 31-yard rush TD and 18-yard rec. TD. In 3 MNF games, has rushed for 290 yards (96.7 per game) and 3 TDs.
- Brandon Jacobs aims for 3rd in row on MNF with rush TD. Had 116 rush yards in last MNF contest.
- Hakeem Nicks had 7 catches for 122 yards (17.4 avg.) last week. In past 2 MNF games, has 16 catches for 204 yards (102 per game) and 2 TDs.
- Mario Manningham has 25+ yard TD in 2 of past 3 on MNF. Has 14 career TDs and 12 have been 20+ yards. Averages 36.4 yards per TD catch in career (510 yards).
- Justin Tuck had 2 sacks and 41-yard INT-TD in last meeting vs. StL.
- Jason Pierre-Paul tied career-high with 2 sacks last week. Also had forced fumble in Week 1.
- Head coach Steve Spagnuolo was defensive coordinator for NYG (2007-08), including SB XLII championship team.
- Sam Bradford needs 300 yards (3,700) to reach 4,000 for career.
- Steven Jackson had 47-yard TD run last week on 1st carry of season. Since 2006, averages 117.3 scrimmage yards per game (8,446 yards, 72 games), most in NFL (min. 50 games). Has 414 scrimmage yards (138 per game; 317 rush, 97 rec.) and 4 TDs (3 rush, 1 rec.) in past 3 MNF games. Aims for 4th MNF game in row with rush TD.
- Cadillac Williams had 91 rush yards in 1st game with Rams. Also tied for team lead with 5 receptions last week for 49 yards.
- Brandon Gibson had team-best 50 rec. yards last week (3 catches, 16.7 avg.).
- James Hall has sack and FF in 2 of past 3 meetings.
- Chris Long had sack in only game vs. NYG.
- Quintin Mikell had INT in last game vs. NYG (12/19/10 with Phi.). Had sack and FF in Week 1...
For all things Giants, make Big Blue View a regular part of your reading.