Good morning, New York sports! I chose 'LeBron James Edition' for the title, but you might call this the 'Sharp Left Turn Edition' of Morning Coffee. That's because it will read a little differently this morning.â†µ
- We're all about New York, of course, but the story today is in Cleveland where LeBron James returns tonight for the first time as a member of the Miami Heat. This headline over at SB Nation Cleveland -- "
LeBron Returns - Public Enemy #1 Returns To Cleveland For First Time" -- tells you everything you need to know. Oh, and then there is the fact that the Cavs are trying to build a tampering case against the Heat. Even if you don't watch the game, you have to tune in at 8 p.m. ET tonight for a few minutes just to see the reaction when LeBron is introduced. â†µ
- One more item before we get to New York stuff. What the heck is the deal with Auburn QB Cam Newton? He's ineligible, Then he's eligible. Nobody really seems to know what is going on with the investigation into violations surrounding Newton, and whether or not he should be held liable since they allegations involve alleged behavior by his father. What a mess! â†µ
- The New Jersey Nets could not take advantage of the absence of Oklahoma City star Kevin Durant Wednesday night, losing to the Thunder, 123-120. To make matters worse for New Jersey, it took them triple overtime to fall. All that extra work and no payoff. â†µ
- The New York Giants are prepping for a Sunday game against the Washington Redskins. The Giants are in a tight playoff race, and can't afford any slip-ups. â†µ
- I would suspect LeBron in Cleveland will get more attention, but a pair of the local hockey squads meet tonight when the New York Rangers meet the New York Islanders at Nassau Coliseum. â†µ