With six games remaining in the 2012 season, the Red Bulls will have ample opportunity to improve their standing as they will challenge first place Sporting Kansas City on two occasions, as well as a match against the second place Chicago Fire. All three matches will be played at Red Bull Arena, with four of the club's six remaining matches at their home field.
Here is how the playoff picture looks in the Eastern Conference:
1. Sporting Kansas City: 51 points (28 games played)
2. Chicago Fire: 50 points (28 games played)
3. New York Red Bulls: 49 points (28 games played)
4. Houston Dynamo: 46 points (29 games played)
5. D.C. United: 44 points (28 games played)