Radio Shack-Nissan's Fabian Cancellara won his fourth consecutive Tour de France prologue, taking the 3.9 mi (6.4 km) course held in Liege, Belgium, with a time of seven minutes and 13 seconds. The Swiss time trial specialist holds the a seven second lead over Sky's Bradley Wiggins and Omega Pharma-Quick Step's Sylvian Chavanel.
BSC's Tejay van Garderen was the fastest American to finish the course, finishing the prologue in fourth place with a time of seven minutes and 23 seconds. Queens, NY native George Hincapie was the second quickest American, finishing in 22nd place with a time of 7 minutes and 33 seconds, 20 seconds behind Cancellara.
The top 10 after today's prologue is below:
- Fabian Cancellara, RSH
- Bradley Wiggins, Sky, at 0.07
- Sylvain Chavanel, OPQS, s.t.
- Tejay Van Garderen, BMC, at 0.10
- Edvald Boasson Hagen, Sky, at 0.11
- Brett Lancaster, Orica GreenEdge, s.t.
- Patrick Gretsch, Argos Shimano, at 0.12
- Denis Menchov, Katusha, at 0.13
- Philippe Gilbert, BMC, s.t.
- Andriy Grivko, Astana, at 0.15