For the sixth straight week the Syracuse Orange men's basketball program is ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll, released Monday afternoon. The string atop the college basketball rankings ties a school record, which was set during the 1989-90 season. The Orange (19-0, 6-0 Big East Conference) earned 60 of the 65 first-place votes, as the Kentucky Wildcats got four while the Baylor Bears received one.
Last week, Syracuse earned a road victory at the Villanova Wildcats, Tuesday, and then defeated the visiting Providence Friars at home Saturday. On Monday, the Orange put their unblemished record on the line as they host the Pittsburgh Panthers in a ESPN "Big Monday" showdown at the Carrier Dome (7:30 p.m.).
Meanwhile, the Seton Hall Pirates (15-4, 4-2) were left out of the AP poll after earning the No. 24 spot last week. That was the first time the Pirates were ranked in the top 25 since Jan. of 2011.
On Friday, Seton Hall lost at the South Florida Bulls, 56-55.
Here's the complete AP Poll:
1.) Syracuse Orange (19-0)
2) Kentucky Wildcats (17-1)
3) Baylor Bears (17-0)
4) Duke Blue Devils (15-2)
5) Missouri Tigers (16-1)
6) Ohio St. Buckeyes (16-3)
7) Kansas Jayhawks (14-3)
8) North Carolina Tar Heels (15-3)
9) Michigan St. Spartans (15-3)
10) Georgetown Hoyas (14-3)
11) Indiana Hoosiers (15-3)
12) Murray St. Racers (18-0)
13) Connecticut Huskies (14-3)
14) UNLV Runnin' Rebels (16-3)
15) Virginia Cavaliers (14-2)
16) San Diego St. Aztecs (15-2)
17) Florida Gators (14-4)
18) Mississippi St. Bulldogs (15-3)
19) Creighton Bluejays (16-2)
20) Michigan Wolverines (14-4)
21) Marquette Golden Eagles (14-4)
22) Illinois Fighting Illini (15-3)
23) Louisville Cardinals (14-4)
24) St. Mary's, Calif. Gaels (17-2)
25) Kansas St. Wildcats (12-4)
SB Nation's blog South Orange Juice has everything on the Pirates, while Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician is all about the Orange. For more on Big East basketball, visit the SB Nation blog Big East Coast Bias. If you're a college basketball nut, well, SB Nation's college basketball hub will solve your hoops cravings.