A four-yard touchdown reception by senior wide receiver Alec Lemon from senior quarterback Ryan Nassib has helped Syracuse University take a 14-7 halftime advantage over the University of Rhode Island in a non-conference contest at the Carrier Dome. The TD was set up by a 62-yard reception by senior wide receiver Van Chew, who caught SU's first TD in the first quarter.
SU's TD answered a 13-play, 86-yard touchdown drive by URI, capped by sophomore running back Travis Hurd's 26-yard dash into the end zone, that tied the game at seven with 9:43 remaining. The Rams lone TD drive, which lasted 5:50, was kept alive a few times by scrambles by senior Steve Probst, who finished the first half with 41-rushing yards on nine carries. The most important run was a QB sneak that converted a fourth-and-inches from SU's 42-yard line. Two plays later, Hurd scored.
With 4:12 remaining in the second quarter, URI's kicker Louis Feinstein missed a 35-yard field goal that would have trimmed the Orange's advantage to 14-10. At the tail end of the second quarter, the Rams moved the ball to SU's 30-yard line, but a pass by Probst was tipped in the air and intercepted by Orange defensive back Phillip Thomas.
Here are some first half stats:
- Syracuse total yards: 226.
- Rhode Island total yards: 171 (24 in the first quarter).
- SU quarterback Ryan Nassib: 15-of-20, 195 yards, two TDs and a INT.
- URI quarterback Steve Probst; 7-fo-16, 72 yards
- SU leading rusher: Senior running back Antwon Bailey, 35 yards on nine carries.
- URI leading rusher: Hurd, who has three carries for 51 yards.
- SU first downs: 12 (nine in the first quarter).
- URI first downs: 10 (one in the first quarter).
SB Nation New York is blogging live from the Carrier Dome during Saturday afternoon's non-conference contest against Rhode Island. Check back to SBN NY for in-game updates, post-game reactions and the most up-to-date news on the Orange. Also, follow along on Twitter at SBNationNY and Jared_E_Smith.