In the event you missed them, here are some post-Fourth Of July news items for you.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Tiger Woods says he won't play the British Open, as his left leg continues to heal.
Woods announced Tuesday on his website that he has been advised not to play next week at Royal St. George's. The decision is not a big surprise, considering he said last week at the AT&T National that he has not hit balls since The Players Championship nearly two months ago.
Woods says he will not return to competition until he believes his left knee and Achilles tendon are 100 percent recovered. He did not say when that might be.
Does anyone still think Woods will ever again be a dominant player? I don't. Competitive? Certainly. Able to win more majors? I think so. But, never dominant again. And the possibility of him breaking Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 major titles seems to become more and more remote every time a major passes by.
WASHINGTON — The federal judge who will preside over Roger Clemens' perjury trial said Tuesday he probably will not permit the pitcher's former teammates on the New York Yankees to give testimony aimed at bolstering the credibility of Clemens' former trainer, now a major prosecution witness.
A day before the trial's start, U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton said at a hearing that statements from former Yankees Andy Pettite, Chuck Knoblauch and Mike Stanton that they received injections of performance-enhancing drugs from the trainer, Brian McNamee, could unfairly influence jurors.
ESPN will broadcast Wimbledon from start to finish beginning with next year's tournament, the network and the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club announced Tuesday. The agreement will run for 12 years.
In acquiring the U.S. television rights, ESPN will present the tournament, including the men's and women's singles finals, across a variety of platforms -- and all of the coverage will be shown live.
This is a sweet deal for tennis fans. Complete live coverage? That's how it should be. The Worldwide Leader now owns a bigger chunk of the sports world.
NEW YORK -- Joey Chestnut hoisted the Mustard Belt for the fifth straight time Monday while chants of "Joey, Joey" ascended from the crowd and Chestnut reigned once again as Nathan's International Hot Dog Eating Contest champion.
Chestnut downed 62 hot dogs in 10 minutes at the July 4th annual event held at the famous Coney Island in Brooklyn. Patrick Bertoletti, of Chicago, Ill., hung tight early but finished second with 53 hot dogs and hometown eater Timothy "Eater X" Janus, last year's runner-up, was third after consuming 43.
Former six-time champ Takeru Kobayashi, instead of crashing the stage the way he did last year, ate simultaneously at a midtown bar while the contest in Brooklyn aired on ESPN. A Wall Street Journal report said Kobayashi claims he scarfed down 69 dogs. The mark, if recognized, would beat Chestnut's world record of 68 set in 2009. Kobayashi was ineligible to compete because he won't sign an exclusive contract with Major League Eating, the fast-food equivalent of the NFL.