The New York Yankees continue their interleague road trip Monday night when they open a three-game series against the Cincinnati Reds at Great American Ball Park. I have to be honest -- I don't know a whole lot about the Reds. I know that many years ago the Reds foolishly traded Paul O'Neill to the Yankees for Roberto Kelly. I know that prior to that they selected Chad Mottola fifth in the 1992 draft, allowing the Yankees to grab some kid named Derek Jeter with the next pick.
Those details are fun historical Yankee facts for which we thank the Reds very much. But, with Jeter on the disabled list and O'Neill (probably) in the YES broadcast booth they have no bearing on the upcoming series. Let's see if we can't uncover five things about the current Reds that you might like to know heading into Monday night.
- The Reds are 38-35, third in the NL Central two games behind both Milwaukee and St. Louis.
- Cincinnati is led by 2010 National League MVP Joey Votto, having another big year with a .327 batting average, nine home runs and 43 RBI. They also have Jay Bruce, who is having an even better year than Votto in terms of run production. He has a .285 batting average, 17 homers, 48 RBI and a .600 slugging percentage.
- Mr. 105-miles-per-hour fastball Aroldis Chapman is on the disabled list with inflammation in his pitching shoulder. He had a 6.92 ERA when he went on the DL May 16. Gee, is this any surprise with Dusty Baker managing the Reds? Ask Kerry Wood or Mark prior about that. Chapman, by the way, might return to the Reds roster during the Yankee series.
- Former Yankee Miguel Cairo, who I figured must be about 1,000 years hold by now, is a reserve infielder for the Reds. Cairo is actually 37. The Reds, by the way, seem to have collected old infielders. They also have 35-year-old Edgar Renteria and 36-year-old Scott Rolen.
- The Yankees last played in Cincinnati in 2003, losing two of three.
3 game series vs Reds @ Great American Ball Park
New York Yankees
Monday, Jun 20, 2011, 7:10 PM EDT
Ivan Nova vs Johnny Cueto
Partly cloudy,rain. Winds blowing from right to left field at 10-15 m.p.h. Game time temperature around 85.
Complete Coverage >
|Tue 06/21||7:10 PM EDT|
|Wed 06/22||12:35 PM EDT|