1. Eli Manning: Franchise quarterback? It appeared as if the Giants had been correct to wager so much on Manning when he led them to a Super Bowl title two years ago. But there were puzzling regression games last season. Few QBs are on for every game, but the Giants should get a better read this season on whether Manning is Phil Simms or merely Mark Rypien.
2. Is Mark Sanchez a playoff-caliber QB? Lost in the revelry of the Jets' run to the AFC Championship were his numbers for most of the season, which were downright ugly. He appeared to make a ton of progress late, but the unstated issue here is that the Jets are counting on the success he had in relatively few games to carry over full-time in 2010.
3. Did the Giants fix their defense? They have a new coordinator, a mostly new secondary, but many of the pieces that participated in last season's defensive meltdowns return. If the results stay the same, the team will need a complete defensive teardown and rebuild, a process that could take years.
4. Will no preseason affect Darelle Revis? I mean, probably not, but consider that the Jets have two early-season tests. In what is likely to be a competitive division, Revis being in less than midseason form could be the difference between a home playoff game or two.
5. What is the deal with Brandon Jacobs? No carries in a preseason game, battling with the coach? If Jacobs isn't punishing defenses, much of what the Giants do on offense will suffer.