clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Lawrence Taylor Seeking Dismissal In Rape Charge

Lawrence Taylor, retired Hall of Fame linebacker for the New York Giants, is seeking a dismissal in his rape charge stemming from last May, according to an ESPN New York report.

Taylor, 51, is hoping that since police didn’t have an arrest warrant when they busted him in his hotel room, the evidence they obtained and his testimony will be dismissed.

Taylor’s defense claimed in a wide-ranging motion that his arrest was illegal because police did not have a warrant when they burst into his suburban hotel room in May. State Supreme Court Justice William Kelly granted the part of the motion that requested a hearing on whether any statements Taylor made upon his arrest were admissible.

Taylor is accused of having sex with a 16-year-old prostitute, whom he allegedly paid $300. He has pleaded not guilty to third-degree rape, patronizing a prostitute, sexual abuse and endangering a child.

According to the report, defense attorney Arthur Aidala said outside the courthouse that Taylor believes his rights were violated and is looking forward to the Jan. 6 hearing.

Both lawyers said they doubted a plea agreement could be reached before the pretrial hearing. Ferraro said Taylor had been offered a six-month jail term and 10 years’ probation if he pleads guilty to a felony. He would have to register as a sex offender.

Aidala has called that offer unacceptable.

Taylor’s next court date is Dec. 23.