clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Rutgers 27, UConn 24: Freshman Quarterback Chas Dodd Leads Scarlet Knights

Piscataway, NJ (Sports Network) – San San Te made a 34-yard field goal with 13 seconds remaining to lift the Rutgers Scarlet Knights over the Connecticut Huskies, 27-24, in the Big East opener for both schools.

Chas Dodd completed 18-of-29 passes for 322 yards and two touchdowns for the Scarlet Knights (3-2, 1-0 Big East), who snapped a two-game skid.

Mark Harrison caught five passes for 112 yards and a score, while Jeremy Deering hauled in three passes for 102 yards and a score. Mohamed Sanu had a rushing touchdown for the victors.

Cody Endres connected on 17-of-34 passes for 153 yards, one touchdown, and a pick for the Huskies (3-3, 0-1), who saw a two-game win streak come to an end.

Jordan Todman carried the ball 24 times for 123 yards and a score. Kashif Moore caught five passes for 64 yards and a touchdown in defeat.

Trailing 24-17 late in the fourth quarter, Rutgers took over near midfield with just over four minutes remaining. On the first play, Dodd hit Harrison down the left sideline for a 52-yard score to even the score.

Connecticut went three-and-out twice in the final moments, and the Scarlet Knights took over at their own 38 with 1:21 to go. Deering’s 45-yard catch on first down had the home team in the red zone. Rutgers ran the clock down and set up for the winning field goal.

The Scarlet Knights dominated play early on, as they needed just three plays to score on their second possession. Dodd and Deering hooked up on a 46-yard score to make it 7-0.

Nick Williams quickly tied the game with a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.

A 75-yard kickoff return by Joe Lefeged put the Scarlet Knights at the Connecticut 14. Three plays later, Sanu rumbled into the end zone to give the home team a 14-7 lead.

Te made a 28-yard field goal early in the second quarter to make it 17-7. The Huskies responded with 17 unanswered points before the half to jump in front.

Todman’s 66-yard rushing touchdown cut the gap to 17-14 with 6:36 left. Connecticut forced Rutgers to go three-and-out, and Taylor Mack’s 33-yard punt return led to Moore’s 22-yard score for a 21-17 margin.

The Huskies got a 17-yard field goal from Dave Teggart prior to the half for a 24-17 advantage.

Following a scoreless third frame, Rutgers got the ball to the Connecticut 13 on its first possession of the fourth stanza. Faced with a 4th-and-2, Dodd threw an incomplete pass.