Good morning, New York sports fans! Here is your first look at the local sports scene.
- No New York Giants or New York Jets games on Sunday. The New York Yankees had their season short-circuited Friday by the Texas Rangers. I'm just curious what you did for your sports fix on Sunday.
- Speaking of the Giants, HUGE Monday Night Football game tonight against the Dallas Cowboys in Arlington, Texas. The 4-2 Giants can move into sole possession of first place in the NFC East with a victory. They can also drive the Cowboys into a 1-5 hole it would be virtually impossible for them to climb out of. Sure would be nice.
- The nicest word I can come up with to describe the whole Brett Favre-Jenn Sterger fiasco is 'unseemly.'
- Did you even remember that they still played football at Syracuse? The Orangemen are relevant again, at least as relevant as a Big East Conference football team can be, after an impressive 19-14 upset of previously 20th-ranked West Virginia in Morgantown on Saturday. First time in a looooong time I have given that school's football program a second thought. Or maybe a first thought.
Ilya Kovalchuk was in uniform for the New Jersey Devils Sunday night, but it really did not help. The Devils lost to the New York Rangers, 3-1.
- The New York Red Bulls open the MLS Playoffs against the San Jose Earthquakes.