Mar 26; Florham Park, NJ, USA; Newly acquired New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow addresses the media at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. Mandatory Credit: Ed Mulholland-US PRESSWIRE
For complete Jets news and analysis, check out SB Nation's Gang Green Nation.
No one can exactly foretell the future and predict the success or failure of Tim Tebow and how he'll fare with the New York Jets. Of course, that doesn't prevent everyone from trying, looking into their crystal balls and seeing disaster, triumph or something in between. SB Nation New York's Charles Dunson took the negative point of view (Ten Reasons Why Tebow As A New York Jet Could Be A Disaster), so we'll look at the acquisition through Jet-colored glasses, and find 10 reasons why this crazy scheme just might work.
10. Maybe the Wildcat packages the Jets plan to use Tebow in might actually help the offense, giving the team a different look that worked a few years ago. He can be a better version of Brad Smith.
9. One of Mark Sanchez's weaknesses is getting off to a slow start. Put Tebow in the game sometime in the team's first possession and maybe he'll be able to jump-start the offense.
8. If Sanchez gets injured, the Jets have a good backup ready to step in.
7. If Sanchez stinks, Tebow's right there to take over.
6. The Jets could have Tebow line up at other positions, not just under center, and confuse opposing defenses. Flea-flickers, gadget plays and end-arounds could cause a nightmare for their opponents.
5. Tebow at quarterback could tire out defenses and be a nice change of pace, making things easier for Sanchez, who took a beating last year. Defensive lines could be too exhausted to pummel Sanchez as much this coming season.
4. Tebow's presence makes game-planning for opponents that much more difficult. Who's the quarterback? How much time will Sanchez and Tebow get? Where will Tebow line up? Maybe even the Jets themselves won't have the answers to those questions, but their opponents will have to plan for every possibility.
3. It's possible Tebow's arrival will finally push Sanchez to step up his game and reach his potential. It's now or never for Sanchez.
2. If Sanchez thrives and Tebow adds his wrinkle and shows just enough potential, the Jets could at least have trade bait after the season.
1. Tebow may have question marks about his talent and ability, but two things he does have are leadership and character, which the Jets could surely use. They need all the help they can get in those departments. And unless the NFL separates church and state and bans praying in the end zone, the team will not have to worry about being flagged for any Santonio Holmes-like unsportsmanlike penalties after Tebow scores a touchdown.