As we anxiously await the Divisional Round of the 2010 NFL Playoffs, let's take a look at some notes on both the New York Jets and the top-seeded New England Patriots. Sunday's game will be the third playoff meeting between the two teams with the Jets yet to beat New England in postseason play. First, some facts and figures relating to the Jets.
- Incl. postseason, Jets are 14-6 (.700) on the road under head coach REX RYAN.
- QB MARK SANCHEZ has 3-1 postseason record, most playoff wins by Jets QB in franchise history. Club 2-0 vs. NE when Sanchez has 100+ passer rating...Jets are averaging 149.8 rush yards per game in past 4 postseason games.
- RB LADAINIAN TOMLINSON tied postseason-high with 2 rush TDs last week & had 82 rush yards, 2nd most of career in playoffs (123 on 1/14/07 vs. NE). For career (incl. postseason), Tomlinson averages 5.0 rush yards per carry vs. Patriots.
- RB SHONN GREENE averages 93.5 rush yards per game in postseason (374 total).
- 14 of WR SANTONIO HOLMES' 20 postseason receptions have been for 1st downs (70.0 pct.).
- WR BRAYLON EDWARDS averages 21.8 yards per catch in postseason (10 receptions, 218 receiving yards).
- WR JERRICHO COTCHERY had four receptions for 100 receiving yards, incl. 77-yard TD catch in only career playoff meeting vs. Patriots.
- TE DUSTIN KELLER has three TD receptions in four postseason games. Keller averages 14.9 yards per catch in postseason (15 receptions, 223 receiving yards).
- CB DARRELLE REVIS has two INTs in four career playoff games & needs one INT to tie GREG BUTTLE (three) for most career postseason INTs in franchise history.
- CB ANTONIO CROMARTIE had INT in last playoff game vs. NE (w/ Chargers on 1/20/08). Cromartie had 2 KR returns for 88 yards (44.0 avg.) last week. incl. 47-yard KR in 4th quarter to set up game-winning FG.
- S ERIC SMITH led team with 10 tackles last week.
- LB JASON TAYLOR has 13 career sacks vs. NE.
- LB CALVIN PACE had 1st career postseason sack last week...Jets had three players selected to 2011 Pro Bowl (T D'BRICKASHAW FERGUSON, C NICK MANGOLD, CB Revis).
And now to New England...
- Since 2000, NE has won eight division titles, most in NFL during that span...Club has 8-5 record in Divisional Playoffs (.615)...Patriots scored NFL-high 518 points in '10, 7th most points scored by team in single season in NFL history...NE has eight consecutive 10-win seasons, 3rd-longest streak in league annals (16, San Francisco, 1983-98; 9, Indianapolis (2002-present).
- With win, BILL BELICHICK will tie HOFer CHUCK NOLL (16) for 4th-most playoff wins all-time. Belichick is 1st head coach ever to win at least 14 regular-season games in four separate seasons.
- QB TOM BRADY has NFL-best 14-4 (.778) postseason record (minimum 15 starts). Brady has won an NFL-record 27 consecutive regular-season home games as starter. Brady owns active streak of 335 consecutive passes without INT this season, best in NFL history. Passed for at least two TDs with no INTs in his past nine games, longest such streak in league annals. Has not thrown INT in his past 11 games. At home vs. Jets as starter (incl. postseason), Brady has 7-2 record & has completed 190 of 295 passes (64.4 pct.) for 2,056 yards with 10 TDs vs. three INTs & 91.9 passer rating.
- RB BEN JARVUS GREEN-ELLIS (1,008 rush yards, 13 rush TDs) joined CURTIS MARTIN as only the 2nd Patriot to have at least 1,000 rush yards & 13 rush TDs in season. Green-Ellis will make playoff debut.
- RB DANNY WOODHEAD had career-best 104 receiving yards in last game vs. Jets.
- WR WES WELKER led team in receptions for 4th consecutive season, longest streak in franchise history (112 in '07; 111 in '08; 123 in '09; 86 in '10). Welker has two TD receptions in three career postseason games. Aims for 3rd straight game with TD catch vs. NYJ.
- WR DEION BRANCH (725) needs 75 receiving yards to reach 800 career postseason receiving yards.
- TE ROB GRONKOWSKI caught 10 TD passes in 2010, most by rookie in franchise history & 2nd most by rookie TE all-time (Pro Football Hall of Famer MIKE DITKA,12 in 1961).
- CB DEVIN MC COURTY led all NFL rookies with 7 INTs, 2nd most in NE history among rookies (HOFer MIKE HAYNES, eight in '76).
- DT VINCE WILFORK had career-best two sacks in Week 17.
- LB JEROD MAYO led team with 193 tackles, 3rd most in season in Patriots history (CLAYTON WEISHUHN, 229 in '83; STEVE NELSON, 207 in '84).