The Big East Conference breezed through the first week of the college football season with an 8-0 record. Two of the biggest victories came from the University of South Florida, which edged Notre Dame, 23-20, and Syracuse University, which edged Wake Forest, 36-29 in overtime. The rest of the league's teams cruised to victory over FCS or non-BCS conference opponents.
Week 1 will be considered a success for the Big East as now both USF (No. 22 in the AP Poll) and West Virginia (No. No. 19 in the AP Poll and No. 22 in the USA Today Coaches Poll) are now ranked in the Top 25. In the SB Nation BlogPoll, WVU is No. 20, while USF is No. 21. However, Week 2 should be a bigger test.
"None of the opponents are projected to win their conference, "wrote ESPN's Big East Blogger Andrea Adelson Monday. "But each has been to bowl games in the recent past. Plus, two of the games are against teams from the SEC. Sure, one of the games is against Vanderbilt, but wins against that league are always important."
Check SB Nation New York's game-by-game previews, listed below:
- Florida International (1-0) at Louisville Cardinals (1-0)
- Rutgers Scarlet Knights (1-0) at North Carolina (1-0)
- Maine (1-0) at Pittsburgh Panthers (1-0)
- Norfolk State (1-0) at West Virginia Mountaineers (1-0)
Cincinnati Bearcats (1-0) at Tennessee (1-0)
- Rhode Island (0-0) at Syracuse Orange (1-0)
- Ball State (1-0) at South Florida Bulls (1-0)
- Connecticut Huskies (1-0) at Vanderbilt (1-0)